Become A Homeowner
NEXT APPLICATION CYCLE: SPRING 2023
If you would like to learn more about our homeownership program and provide your information to receive an application once the next application cycle opens, please call our office at (505) 986-5880 Ext 102 or email [email protected].
Santa Fe Habitat chooses families to become homeowners based on the following requirements:
- Need: You will be considered for a Habitat home if your present housing is not adequate for your family size, is not affordable for your income, or is unsafe. Your income will also be assessed to make sure you qualify for our program. Please see the Income Guidelines page for financial qualification guidelines.
- Live or Work in Santa Fe County: You must have lived or worked in Santa Fe County for at least one full year at the time of application. U. S. Citizenship is not required, but at least one applicant must be a lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Financial ability: You will be buying the house from Habitat and, therefore, must be able to pay a monthly mortgage payment. The mortgage does not carry interest, but the monthly payments include insurance, taxes, and possibly homeowner’s association dues and fees.
- Partnership: If selected, you will become a Habitat Partner Family, and you will be responsible for a minimum of 350–500 hours of “sweat equity,” depending upon the number of mortgage signers in your family. Sweat equity can be completed by working on other Habitat homes, your own Habitat home, or by participating in other Habitat-related work. Family members signing the mortgage must complete 168–240 hours of the required sweat equity and the remaining hours may be completed by other family members and friends.
Basic Qualification Checklist
- You lived or worked in Santa Fe County for the past year
- Your family’s main wage earner is a U.S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident
- You had not had a foreclosure or been discharged from bankruptcy in the last three years
To Begin The Process
If you believe you meet the general qualifications for a Habitat home, please call the office at (505) 986-5880. We will take your contact information and contact you when we begin accepting new applications.
Information on Fair Housing or to file a complaint:
HUD (800) 669 9777 | www.hud.gov